You are here

Help with food and cash during COVID-19

Reviewed July 2020

The Department of Transitional Assistance (DTA) offices are closed to in-person visits

In-person appointments

As a result of COVID-19  DTA local offices will be closed to in-person visits until further notice.

But they are committed to serving you over the phone and online.

You can still conduct business with DTA :

Apply for SNAP

  • online
  • fax:
    DTA Document Processing Center
    (617) 887-8765
  • mail:
    DTA Document Processing Center
    P.O. Box 4406
    Taunton, MA 02780 or
  • phone:
    Call DTA at 877-382-2363. Press "6" after the introductory message to reach a worker. Say you want to apply by phone or
  • through a SNAP Outreach Provider Call:
    Project Bread (800) 645-8333
    The Food Bank of Western MA (413) 247-9738
    The Greater Boston Food Bank (617)427-5200, or
    Other MA SNAP outreach partners:
  • DTA is not taking in-person SNAP applications.

Apply for TAFDC or EAEDC cash assistance

You cannot apply for cash assistance in person.

EBT Cards

If you need a new or replacement EBT card, you can ask DTA to mail you one by using the automated DTA Assistance Line (877) 382-2363 or through your account on You can also ask a case manager for a card. 

Follow DTA on Twitter @DTA_Listens
For more information visiit

Massachusetts Pandemic EBT (MA P-EBT)

Pandemic EBT is a special food benefit for families whose children qualify for free or reduced price school meals.

Using your P-EBT card does not impact you or your child’s immigration status. The public charge rule does not apply to P-EBT benefits.

Visit to learn more. 

Find Legal Aid

You may be able to get free legal help from your local legal aid program. Or email a question about your own legal problem to a lawyer.

DTA Benefits & COVID-19 Training

Ask a Law Librarian

If it's
9am and 4pm